Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Poem #7: Questions My Dog Asks

.
.
.
The dog and I are locked in the little TV room,
and he's trying to tell me
THERE'S SOMEONE MAKING A HORRIBLE NOISE IN THE LIVING ROOM
That's Patti the cleaning lady, I try to tell him.
She's filling a bag she has in that machine
with about a pound of the hair you've shed since December.
BUT THERE'S SOMEONE IN THE LIVING ROOM
I know, I try to tell him, it's OK,
we're not in any danger, I won't let her
vacuum you, and he looks at me
with even more concern and tries to ask me
THAT THING WHAT IS THAT THING MAKING ALL THE NOISE
and I remind myself
that I if I made this noise myself
a little more often
I wouldn't now be spending
most of my morning locked in a small room
with an agitated dog
asking so many questions.
.
.
.

4 comments:

  1. Sam, this is truth. I have had this exact experience, and the talking dog is really something of a comfort when you're isolated in the Panic Room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max said that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dog won't stand for asking questions when my daughter's pit bull is visiting. Even when I'm in the room with her, she digs through the carpeting to find a way under the door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A poet with enough money for a cleaner? What kind of f*&%$#ed up life are you living in?

    ReplyDelete