Saturday, April 9, 2011

Dream Tonight

In my dream last night, my father and I lived in a run-down house;
the wooden floor was crooked and soggy from leaky pipes 
that sometimes extended though the floor and ended in an open valve
that would spit water on occasion.
An inch of water would accumulate in the small kitchen.
Outside, I saw my nephew and several drinking buddies return
from a tavern in town; they tumbled out in 
German SS uniforms, black with pink pipping along the sleeves and lapels;
they were happy, drunk and wanted more.
I left for the tourist town nearby wearing only a short t-shirt 
and a hat that I held before me; no one seemed to care I was half naked,
except for the gang of latinos, who seemed to mistake me
for someone else. One pulled a snub-nosed .38 and swaggered it in my face;
I took it, checked that it was loaded, and brandished it back at them,
told them I'd use it if necessary...
Finding a small cafe, I ate lunch and paid with the pistol, returning home to find
even more of the wooden floor soaked and spongy
ready to be pulled up by hand and replaced
with a poorly laid brick floor.
There was still water in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment